Grebes Agenda Items:
Who is Grebes? What do we do? Thom and Ashley will give a quick overview of the Grebes budget/activities for the quarter and the year.
Group Photo!!!! Everyone look pretty!!!!!!
1. Bill Cresko’s “State of the Institute” address to Grebes
2. Public Seminar Series – Biology in Spaaaaaaace!
Kristin will give a short overview of the speakers we have confirmed to speak for the Series.
We will discuss as a group what we think the overall theme should be next week, start thinking of a good title, and possibly an image that will be associated with advertising and/or merchandise.
We will also discuss the further tasks that need to be delegated to Grebes’ members.
3. IE2 logo? Do we want to do this? Contest?
5:00-5:20 Bill Q&A
- weekly seminar – Matt Streisfeld & Michelle Wood on Seminar sub-committee
- grad students encouraged to invite speakers (through lab or through Matt Streisfeld)
- training grant money for inviting speakers, too
5:20-5:23 Group Photo!
5:23-5:41 Thom Budget
5:41-6:02 Kristen Seminar Update
- Chris McKay
- May 7th
- Aliens out there? Mars Mission, NASA
- Lynn Rothschild –
- Synthetic Biology, microbes in extreme environments
- Maggie Turnbull –
- Beginning of May? End of June?
- Global Science Institute, help id planets that could host life, “freelance astrobiologist”
- Advertisement – Andrew, Holly, Lucas, Roo
- Poster, tagline, designed
- Weekly Ad – two weeks before with all speakers
- Specific posters for each lecturer as part of series
- Kristen – arrange rooms
- Asking for funds
For next meeting:
- Think about tag-lines & vote on theme & tag line
- Tee-shirt idea tabled until next meeting