Grebes Agenda Items:
Agenda for first Grebes’ meeting of Winter term: 1.15.14
1. A visit from Bill Cresko:
Topics: graduate student recruiting in February, and faculty job searches
2. Update on Grebes’ Budget hearing
3. Reiteration of Grebes’ Attendance Requirements:
To be eligible to receive any Travel Award/Research Award funds from Grebes, or to go on the Winter Retreat, you must have attended at least 1 Grebes meeting that quarter OR have contributed in some way to a Grebes-sponsored activity. If your schedule prevents you from attending a Grebes meeting or participating in a Grebes activity during a particular term, and you would like to be eligible for these awards, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. Travel Award & Research Award
Congratulations to Dan Thomas and Lorien Reynolds for winning last term’s awards.
We will have a Research Award for $800 coming up this term. Deadline TBA.
5. Winter Retreat
Lucas will propose some ideas for our Grebes’ Winter local retreat that will take place sometime this term.
6, Seminar Series
Lucas and Roo will show us the first *awesome* draft of the artwork for the Seminar Series. Feedback greatly appreciated!!!
7. Touch base with committee members for other activities this term, and for the rest of the academic year.
Professional Development Workshop Series – Adam Burns
Grad Panel – SPRING
Undergrebes – SPRING
8. T-shirt contest possibilities, led by Allison Fuiten.
Thom Nelson, Ashley Bateman, Allison Fuiten, Dan Thomas, Lorien Reynolds, Andrew Nishida, Anya Hopple, Christine O’Connor, Roo Vandegrift, Alex Weimer, Heather Archer, Abby Duffy, Kyle Meyers, Felipe Campos, Lucas Nebert
5:05-5:22 Bill Cresko –
- Job search update Math-Bio search, 7 candidates
- Requests for GrEBES to provide feedback for each of the candidates at end of the search.
- Bitty Roy in charge of Grad recruiting (with Patrick Philips helping)
- Not as big as previous years. (5 to 6 recruits?)
- Wed. the recruits fly in, Thurs. interviews & poster sessions, Fri. dinner at a house, Sat. hike, Feb 13-15.
- Some of you will be asked to be hosts
- Feedback from grad students will be helpful
- Graduate course modules? After taking the biostats course, go to other lab for an intense three wks to learn a particular strategy/topic/technique. Early part of planning.
- John Connery –next year, python scripting for biologists.
5:23-5:24 Update on Grebes’ Budget hearing
- No increases in budget for year 14-15 from year 13-14
5:24-5:25 Reiteration of Grebes’ Attendance Requirements:
- will be posted on website
5:25-5:28 Travel Award & Research Award
- Dan Thomas & Lorien Reynolds
- Need to submit a blog post – email Allison
- This quarter $800 for research
5:28-5:38 Winter Retreat
- Lucas in charge of organizing
- Ideas? HJ Andrews Ecological Research Site, Yurts on the Coast?
- Weekend after recruitment?
- Further planning on Yurts voted on
5:38-5:50 Artwork for Exobiology Series
- Artwork approved
- Use of Astrobiology vs Exobiology debated.
5:50-5:55 Touch base with committee members for other activities this term, and for the rest of the academic year.
- Professional Development might happen this quarter
- Roo will organize UnderGrEBES for this quarter.
5:55-5:56 T-shirt contest possibilities
- Wait for logo to be designed